Long Beach Car Accident Attorney
Long Beach, California, is a beautiful and busycity. It is no wonder that many people are drawn to the area for its stunning beaches, bustling nightlife, and endless shopping and dining options. However, the city’s business can also be a double-edged sword. The more people there are on the roads, the greater the chances of car accidents. This unfortunate reality can flip a person’s life upside down in an instant. If you are in Long Beach and have been involved in a car, truck, or Uber accident, it is important to seek the help of a Long Beach car accident attorney as soon as possible.
Proudly Serving Long Beach Personal Injury Car Accident Cases
At the Law Offices of Jonathan D. Winters, we understand the physical, emotional, and financial devastation that a car accident can cause. If you were in a car accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence, you likely have legal grounds to obtain compensation for your damages. This monetary compensation can never undo the harm that has been caused, but it can help rebuild your life. Our Long Beach personal injury lawyers never leave money on the table, and we will fight tooth and nail to ensure that justice is served in your case. If you are ready to take action and hold the negligent party responsible for their actions, contact us today to quick-start the legal process.
What Scenarios Result in Long Beach Car Accidents?
With so many unnecessary risks on the road, it is important to know what scenarios are most likely to result in accidents. The following are some of the most common causes of car accidents in Long Beach:
- Distracted driving: With the advent of cell phones and other electronic devices, distracted driving has quickly become a leading cause of car accidents. When a driver takes their attention off the road, even for a split second, they are increasing their chances of not seeing another car, pedestrian, or object in their path and crashing into it.
- Driving under the influence: Driving after taking drugs or alcohol is always a recipe for disaster. It impairs a person’s ability to drive and makes them more likely to take unnecessary risks and make poor decisions. These are serious offenses that result in jail time, license suspension, and hefty fines, in addition to the damage caused to the other parties in the accident.
- Speeding: Speed kills. When a driver is speeding, they are less likely to be able to stop in time if someone unexpectedly pulls out or if they hit an obstacle on the road. This could cause someone to lose control of their vehicle and cause a serious accident that would normally be avoidable if their vehicle was not moving as fast.
- Reckless driving: This can be any one of numerous behaviors, all of which are dangerous and can put other people on the road at risk. These behaviors can include weaving in traffic, tailgating, making sudden lane changes, and running red lights or stop signs.
- Illegal turns: Making an illegal turn always tempts California drivers who are in a hurry and are trying to avoid traffic. However, there is a reason these turns are illegal. They are often in busy intersections where there is a lot of traffic and the potential for serious accidents is high. Abiding by the Long Beach rules of the road is always the best policy to avoid an accident.
Unfortunately, this is only the beginning when it comes to the causes of Long Beach car accidents. If you believe any of these scenarios or something else is to blame for your accident, you have the grounds to speak with an attorney about your legal options.
What Injuries Are Commonly Caused by Long Beach Car Accidents?
Car accidents cause many injuries, some of which are more serious than others. The following are some of the most common injuries that we see in our Long Beach car accident cases:
- Whiplash: This is a common neck injury caused when the head is suddenly and violently thrown forward or backward. This makes the ligaments and muscles in the neck stretch beyond their limits and tear. Whiplash is a frequently occurring injury in car accidents and can often lead to chronic pain that can extend years beyond the accident.
- Head injuries are some of the most serious injuries a person can suffer in a car accident. They range from concussions to more serious traumatic brain injuries and cause long-term cognitive problems, paralysis, and even death.
- Back injuries: These are other common injuries that we see in car accident cases. These can include anything from herniated discs to spinal cord injuries and can cause immense pain and suffering,as well as long-term disability.
- Broken bones: These injuries can occur when a person is thrown from their vehicle or when their vehicle is crushed in a collision. Broken bones are highly fragile and can take weeks or even months to heal. This can often lead to long-term health problems if they are not properly treated.
- Internal bleeding: Internal bleeding is a serious medical condition that can occur when internal organs are damaged in a car accident. The brain, lungs, and kidneys are common organs affected by this type of injury. If not treated quickly, internal bleeding can be fatal.
What Should I Do If I’m Involved in a Long Beach Car Accident?
If you are in a car accident in Long Beach, CA you first should seek medical attention, even if you don’t think you are injured. Many injuries, such as whiplash and concussion, can take hours or even days to manifest. After seeing a medical professional, you should contact a Long Beach car accident attorney to discuss your legal options.
A Long Beach Car Accident Lawyer With the Right Experience Can Help You Determine Fault
An experienced car accident lawyer will investigate your case and determine who was at fault for the accident. They will also be able to negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf and fight for the compensation that you deserve. Your attorney will also be prepared to take your case to trial if there is no satisfactory resolution. This further reinforces the need to hire an attorney, as the average citizen does not have the knowledge or resources to effectively litigate a car accident case in court that maximizes compensation.
How to Prove Who Is Liable for a Long Beach Car Accident
Determining who is liable or at fault for a Long Beach car accident is not always straightforward. In some cases, more than one individual may share in the liability for an accident. The following are some of the most common ways that liability is determined in these cases:
- Police reports: In many cases, the police report filed after an accident will contain information about who the officers believe to be at fault for the accident. This is not always accurate, but it can be a helpful starting point.
- Eyewitness testimony: If there are any witnesses to the accident, their testimony can be very helpful in determining who is liable. People who saw the accident happen can often provide valuable information about what they saw and how the chain of events unfolded.
- Driver statements: The statements that the drivers involved in the accident give to the police can also help determine liability. However, these statements are often given before the full extent of the injuries is known and can sometimes be inaccurate.
- Accident reconstruction: In some cases, an accident reconstruction may be necessary to fully understand how the accident happened. This is often done by an expert who analyzes the evidence and provides a report to help determine liability.
- Photographic and video evidence: These are some of the most powerful pieces of evidence that can be used in a car accident case. Photographs and videos are often indisputable as they directly show what happened rather than relying on someone’s memory of the event.
- Medical records are highly telling as to the severity of injuries suffered. The court will often consider the amount of treatment required and the prognosis for future medical care when determining how much damage this accident has caused. For example, permanent injuries will be worth more than those that are expected to heal completely.
- Professional evaluations: In some cases, it may be necessary to have a professional evaluation done to fully understand the extent of the injuries suffered. This could be done by an orthopedist, a neurologist, or another type of medical specialist. This is an extension of a traditional medical record and can be very helpful in securing the most accurate understanding of the injuries.
Overall, it takes a combination of these pieces of evidence coupled with a thorough investigation to determine car accident liability. An experienced Long Beach car accident lawyer knows how to properly investigate your case and build a strong argument for who is responsible for getting the compensation you deserve.
How Do I Find the Right Car Accident Lawyer?
When you are looking for a car accident lawyer, there is a fundamental set of criteria that you should always look for:
- Years of experience: It is important to find an attorney who has experience handling car accident cases. This experience comes in the form of handling similar cases or simply having many years of experience practicing law. The more experience an attorney has on their resume, the better equipped they will be to handle cases and earn compensation.
- A record of positive results: Another important factor to consider when choosing a car accident lawyer is their results. How often do they win their cases? Do they have a track record of getting their clients the compensation that they deserve? These are important questions to ask when you are trying to decide which lawyer to hire.
- Sufficient resources for investigation: A good car accident lawyer will have the resources necessary to properly investigate your case and build a strong argument for who is liable. This includes access to expert witnesses, accident reconstructionists, and other professionals who can help strengthen your case.
- Communication: It is important to find an attorney who you feel comfortable communicating with. This means they should be able to listen to your side of the story and detail things to you in a way you can understand. They should also keep you updated on the status of your case and answer any questions that you have along the way.
- Personality: It is also important to find an attorney who fits your personality well. This is important because you will be working closely with them throughout your case, and you need to be sure that you are comfortable with them. For example, someone who is aggressive and pushy may not be the best fit for someone who is more reserved and introspective. On the flip side, someone who is too laid back may not be the best fit for someone who is more high-energy.
Making the decision to hire a car accident lawyer is an important one. First, you need to be sure that you are hiring someone who meets all the criteria listed above. Only then can you be confident that they will work hard to get you the compensation that you deserve.
Contact the Law Offices of Jonathan D. Winters Today
At the Law Offices of Jonathan D. Winters, we have the experience, resources, and communication skills that you are looking for in a car accident lawyer. We have a proven track record of success in handling car accident cases and are confident we can get you the compensation that you deserve. No one deserves to suffer because of the negligence of another. We will do everything in our power under California law to make sure that justice is served so that you feel safe and whole again on the roads of Long Beach. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
We look forward to learning more about your case and helping you get the justice that you deserve.